I’m absolutely snowed under and have no time to write extensively, but I thought I’d share this adorable little gem of a word I discovered while translating a brochure on events happening in Sussex this summer. It’s a Sussex dialect word for a narrow path or passage between two walls or hedges. In Brighton, it becomes twitting (*cute*). I like it so much that instead of translating it directly, I might leave it between inverted commas and put the translation between brackets. It’s always nice to give a little bit of local colour to a document and I think that, as this is a tourist brochure aimed at helping French people discover Sussex, it is perfectly appropriate.
However the translation itself is an issue; I originally thought of using ruelle (these twittens are in the centre of Hastings), but then I discovered venelle, a more obscure word which seems to also describe a small narrow street. What’s the difference between a ruelle and a venelle, I wonder? I think I’ll be using ruelle, a word that the reader will know.
Mental note to self: use twitten the next time I’m wandering in the Brighton Lanes or in Lewes, preferably to a local. That’ll impress them.